Sunday, February 15, 2009

Ghazal with live Percussion!

I had presented my version of the famous Farida Khanum ghazal, Aaj Jaane Ki Zid Na Karo in an earlier post. But now I got to do it again - a better version , I think, with Tabla! Yup, my husband is learning to play the Tabla and he has accompanied me on this - our first jam session! We had fun doing this. I have removed the earlier mp3 since I think this turned out better anyways.

ghazal.mp3


I would appreciate your feedback!

PS: I realize the widget is completely inappropriate... but it's so cool and goes with the title that screams excitement about percussion and the drummer's just as adorable as my drummer (;-)); it was hard to resist.

15 comments:

Sindhuja Bhakthavatsalam said...

Wonderful, my dear jiji and jija :)
Please record more together!! But please balance the volumes- voice is way louder than the tabla in this.
Nevertheless, loved it! Sumi- your voice just glides through like honey :) Waiting to catch u both together live soon!

Sindhuja Bhakthavatsalam said...

BTW this is teen taal right?

SUMI said...

it's dadra - not teentaal.
in carnatic style it worked out well to chapu taalam ( i think khanda)- at this point i dont even remember how mishra chapu goes- do u know?

Sindhuja Bhakthavatsalam said...

This is mishra chapu (7 counts). but since mishra chapu is the same as triputa taalam, i thot this might be teen taal (guessed that triputa is teen taal- not sure of that either)
khanda is 5 counts- amma's ariyadoru is khanda chapu.

SUMI said...

I know mishra is 7 and khanda is 5. But I am not sure how it goes- do you know it in jati form- like they say it for mridangam?

Teentaal is an evenly spaced cycle of 16 beats- the closest equivalent of Aditaalam (8 beats). It is different from Rupakataalam. There is a Rupak taal in Hindustani, I believe, I am yet to find out what it is.

Sindhuja Bhakthavatsalam said...

mishra: ta-ki-ta ta-ka dhi-mi (7)
khanda: ta-ka ta-ki-ta (5)
wow, dint know teen was aadi. thot ek was closest to adi.

SUMI said...

So this is mishra chapu, not khanda chapu, and its 7 beats. And I thought G played Dadra but thats 6 beats, so I am confused. May be it was a different taal, not dadra. I'll check.

Perception said...

Nice! Really liked the tabla and taal.

SUMI said...

thanks Perception!

Makarand said...

Terrific Sumithra! I am proud of you, and Tabla wasnt bad either!

Makarand said...

Very nice Sumithra. Tabla wasn't bad either :)

SUMI said...

LOL! thanks Makarand :-)

Music7 said...

Whats the next song in line? I sing too - for your voice, you should try : Munbe Va

SUMI said...

Next one will come up soon. Not sure I know the 'Munbe va' song - is that from a movie? Nice to know you sing too - why don't post some songs on your blog? :)

Shahana said...

Hello, I was looking for taal information on this ghazal, and yes, in my listening to Farida Khanoum's version, it is a 7-beat cycle. In Hindustani that is Rupak Taal: ti ti na, dhi na, dhi na.