Monday, November 24, 2008

Frustrated

I constantly have a cold and some phlegm... almost! It's only in summers that I am able to use my voice as I please. My throat feels so rigid and mute the rest of the time! I am frustrated! Anyone got any ideas? I try to keep away from having salads and try to have only warm food but I just have this constant problem! I just lack the unrestrained (musical) expressiveness and feel so handicapped! :-(

8 comments:

Unknown said...

awww. maybe some warm chai with ginger will make you feel better. Have you seen a doctor?

SUMI said...

thanks :) Yeah I do feel better when I have something hot. Whenever I try to sing I keep drinking something hot - hot water or chai or green tea. It's not so bad that I need to go to the doc, and I don't even feel it until I try to sing... just an annoying thing...

Unknown said...

I hate falling ill so I usually keep my immunity up by drinking orange juice everyday...especially during the flu season so I haven't gotten sick this season....yet :)

But if your symptoms last for more 2 weeks, you should definitely see the doctor since it could mean a more serious condition...even if the symptoms aren't too bad.
Also try boiling ginger in water for a long time to get an extract an then mix it with some honey and just swallow it warm(like a shot). the ginger will sting and clean and the honey will soothe.
turmeric milk is also supposed to be helpful.
http://spiceisright.blogspot.com/2006/01/got-cough-blues-or-cold-woes.html

Hope you feel better soon.

SUMI said...

Thanks again, Megha. I'll try those things. I really appreciate your taking the time to write all this! :)

Unknown said...

Sumi the best way to get rid of your problem is to do pranayama every day after jal neti. This is 100% effective. You will never ever have a cold again nor will your nose be blocked. Every problem starts from our airways. All allergents and viruses get to us through our nose mainly. When you keep your airways clean and widely open then every problem is solved. Avoid yogurt and milk products If you are allergic to dust sleeping with the fan on can do harm. AC is fine if you are nt allergic to cold :)What i said here is all from my own experience. I have not had a cold in two years!

SUMI said...

Thank you Pradip! I should try that. Incidentally my husband read up somewhere on the internet in a differnt context, and said the same thing this morning - about Pranayama being an effective cure for colds. But you know how easy it is to not take family seriously, especially with laziness and all. :-) I should really try it now! Thanks so much.

TC Ratnapuri said...

Sumi, try taking Vitamin C daily. It helped me a lot to avoid the same exact problem. Also take honey mixed with Apple cider vinergar in warm water after every singing session (its horrible to drink though). Wish you a very very HAPPY, PROSPEROUS AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR!!!

SUMI said...

thanks so much Ratnapuri! I take multivitamin everyday. the honey vinegar thing I am wary of trying. :-) I think I need a higher dose of vit C perhaps.

Appreciate your help very much.

Happy New Year too!