Monday, June 11, 2007

Manamayakkum....

This is definitely one of my favorite Carnatic songs that I learnt from a CD by the great singer, Ms Aruna Sairam. I am not aware of who composed this beautiful poetry and who composed the music for it.

I am attempting to translate the poetry here and sincerely hope I am doing justice. Thanks to my mother who gave me a word-to-word translation of this archaic Tamil literary work, I was able to appreciate this piece in its entirity.

The poet likens the Hindu God Krishna to a king and his paradise forest, Brindavan to a king's court. The song is befittingly set to Brindavana Saranga, adapted from the Hindustani Raag Brindavani Saarang.

My attempt at translation:

He, the bearer of the divine flute from which flows many a mallifluous tune, supremely enchanting!

Is the king of this paradise kingdom!

He sits magnificently on his wild rock throne, under the cool shade of trees rich with green leaves...

Adorned is He, by a crown that holds a single brilliant plume of a peacock!

The little bright flowers whose souls craved to reach Him, now are blessed to rest at His feet...

While He dwells in His paradise with His queen who is tranquil as she rests by His side!

His subjects are none but the enamored maids whose hearts pine for His love...

The bells of justice in His prosperous kingdom jingle in the necks of the cows generous and wholesome!

Sing in praise of this dusky king at the banks of the serene river Yamuna!

Calf, oh my calf! Many a salutation to you, who relentlessly sing His praise!








powered by ODEO

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing singing!

Knowing the meaning of the song makes it even more enchanting.

Great translation as well!

Keep up the good work :)

-G

Sindhuja Bhakthavatsalam said...

Beauuuuutiful Sumiiii!!!!!

Kiranz..!! said...

Beauty ..it was a touching conversion you have done.I dont understand the meaning of it fully,but truely enjoyed it..Great..!

SUMI said...

thanks Kiran!

Murali Venkatraman said...

very good singing sumi. Welcome to audio-blogging.

SUMI said...

thanks Murali. I'm trying. :)

Nagashree said...

sumiiiiiiiiiiii, you have sung it sooooo well that i could cry with joy. it was wonderful and i enjoyed the song in total. good job!!

Nagashree said...

sumiiiiiiiiiiii, you have sung it sooooo well that i could cry with joy. it was wonderful and i enjoyed the song in total. good job!!

வழிப்போக்கன் said...

அருணாவின் மனமயக்கம் ஒரு அருமையான பாட்டு.
நீங்கள் ஏன் கர்நாடக இசைக்கென அதிகம் பாட்டுக்களைத் தேர்வு செய்யக்கூடாது?

arvindh said...

Oh this is just fantastic! It would be great if you do more of this genre.

SUMI said...

thank you Arvind! I'll try to do more of this genre. Right now I'm initiated into Hindustani.

Anonymous said...

I am not much of a music buff to comment on your singing. It seems great. One of my favorite songs is "alai payudhe". Can you make an attempt at it?
AP1 - Nice mix of visuals with the lyrics
AP2- from the movieLip sync is terrible
AP3 Srinath - without accompaniment in a casual atmosphere
AP4 - Sudha Raghunathan
AP-5 - Instrumental - guitar

SUMI said...

thank you!

hmmm... i know the song and all, i'll think about whether i can present it well enough.

Anonymous said...

Oops the lyrics